Re: [SLE] HP3030: Printer/Scanner clash
  • From: Louis Richards <louis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 06 May 2004 10:06:51 -0400
Kenneth Schneider wrote:

On Thu, 2004-05-06 at 03:46, spx@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Hi,

I have an HP3030 printer/copier/fax/scanner combo

No problem to use as a printer on its own.

But when I install the scanner driver, the printer no longer works.

What to do?

Thanks

Nico

Which driver are you using? I have an HP 3300 and us the hpoj driver and
needed to change the printer port in order to print.

The all in one Officejets and/or PSC models from HP require a few extra steps to get everything working. For starters, install the hp-officejet package from Yast/Software/Install and Remove Software. Next (as root) run "ptal-init setup". This should detect your device and set it up. Make sure ptal is enabled in Yast/System/Runlevel Editor so it starts again at boot time.

Last but not least, you need to set up your printer. Do not use Yast for this. Use the CUPS web interface at http://localhost:631/ . If you have never used this interface before, you will have to add an admin user first by entering "lppasswd -g sys -a user". I am not sure if you have to restart cups or not after this, but it couldn't hurt. Type "rccups restart". Use the web interface to set up as many printers as needed for different resolutions setting the device to the PTAL device created above.

WOW ... I just re-read the above. It realy isn't as complicated as I wrote it. I hope my ramblings help.

--

Louis D. Richards
LDR Interactive Technologies