Re: [SLE] Nobody is home in Samba
  • From: Louis Richards <louis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 06 May 2004 09:27:32 -0400
Jerome Lyles wrote:

I have Samba running on Suse 9.0 as a server. I also have a Sony notebook with Windows XP on it. When I access my Samba server thru the windows client /var/lib/nobody is the directory shared not my home directory. How can I have my home directory show up in the samba client? Why does the nobody directory show up?

Here is my samba.conf file:

# smb.conf is the main Samba configuration file. You find a full commented

<SNIP>

[homes]
comment = Home Directories
valid users = %S
browseable = yes
read only = No
create mask = 0640
directory mask = 0750
guest ok = yes
printable = no

<SNIP>

You have changed this to make the home directory browsable. When a client first browses a server, it is done as nobody. You have not logged on to the server yet. The server has no way to tell who you are. You also are allowing guest access. Try the following:

[homes]
comment = Home Directories
valid users = %S
writable = Yes