9.1 unuseably slow
  • From: David Bottrill <david@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 02:01:02 +0000
We received a copy of 9.1 today at work and I have installed this on three
machines with dissapointing results.

The first machine was an IBM Thinkpad R40 with a Centino 1600 CPU. This
machine worked fine and the performance was great.

The second and third machines were unusable, KDE takes serveral minutes to
start, attempting to start YAST for instance will take about a minute for the
SU box to appear and then another minute for YAST to load. I get similar
results for all applications I have tried, in all instances the system
performs like a P100 with very little RAM.

The machines that run slowly are both Athlon XP based machines, one being an
Athlon XP 2400 with 1GB of DDR RAM on an ECS Elite motherboard.

The second machine is an XP2000 with 512MB of PC3200 RAM on a PCChips
motherboard.

I have applied all the updates with no effect.

Any ideas would be appreciated, I've had to switch back to 9.0 as the whole
9.1 experience is unuseable has anybody got any ideas?

David

--
David Bottrill

Registered Linux user number 330730