Re: [SLE] sux problem in 9.1
  • From: Alex Angerhofer <alex@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 May 2004 20:54:20 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 5 May 2004, Michael Nelson wrote:

> I have just installed the 9.1 Pro upgrade this morning. Most things seem to
> be working right, but my old buddy "sux" no longer gives the root user
> access to the display. After doing "sux -", I do become the root user, but
> running any X application gives me errors like:
>
> michaeln@seahunt:~> sux -
> Password:
> seahunt:~ # id
> uid=0(root) gid=0(root) groups=0(root)
> seahunt:~ # xclock
> Xlib: Protocol not supported by server
>
> Error: Can't open display: :0
> seahunt:~ #
>
> I have been using sux for so long now I forgot how to solve this. It's
> always just worked in the past. There doesn't seem to be a man page for
> sux, and sux --help just gives a usage message that isn't particularly
> helpful.
>
> Has anyone else seen this?

While still waiting for my 9.1 to show up, let me offer this observation
on previous SuSE versions: If your security configuration is too tight it
won't let you connect to the local X server. IIRC it is the settings of
file permissions that will screw things up. I would check those first
via YaST ---> Security and Users ---> Security Settings, and relax them in
case you have them pre-set to too secure.

HTH, Alex.