Kernel panic after recompile of mantel 2.6.5-10.21
  • From: Richard Atcheson <ratcheson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 May 2004 19:29:46 -0500
On my pos Compaq Presario Laptop, I recompiled the mantel kernel to include
the opti621 module.. I did the standard make all, modules_install , etc.
When I rebooted I got a kernel panic with this message:

reiserfs: disagrees about version of symbol struct_module.
insmod: error inserting
'/lib/modules/2.6.5-10.21-default/kernel/fs/reiserfs/reiserfs.ko': -1 Invalid
module format
rootfs: /dev/hda5 major=3 minor=5 dev_t=773
kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on hda5

The recompile was made using the proper source file, ie., 2.6.5-10.21 which
was in the mantel folder with the kernel.

Can anyone explain to me what I may be doing wrong? I had compiled the kernel
several times previously using earlier versions of the 2.6.5 kernel.
Obviously the insmod checking thinks the format is wrong. Is there anything
I can do to correct it, assuming I can find out what the problem is?

Thanks,
Richard

  • No further messages