Re: [SLE] Bad Disks
  • From: Jim Sabatke <jsabatke@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 05 May 2004 10:43:04 -0700
Damon Jebb wrote:

Jim Sabatke said
<Does anyone have a way of cleaning/polishing CDs?>

It may or may not help now, but some CD copying programs will recover
damaged CD's if you are lucky. I have more experience of this on
Windows and if you have access to windows I think WinISO may help. You
could try mkisofs under SuSE, with some work the least you could do is
assemble a CD that has all the intact files on it, so that you can
cleanly install them.

I copy my distro the minute I get it and use the copies. That way I can
throw them about and not worry too much, just make a new copy if it
fails. If the distro CD is dodgy from the start this could help to make
a reliable copy (I find that the severity of the problem varies from
drive to drive, depending on things like how old they are). Also a
quick clean-up of the drive can help sometimes with marginal disks.

HTH

Damon

This may sound gross, but I've had luck spitting on them and polishing with a soft cloth. I can see scratches if I hold it up right to the light. I think the packaging in cardboard is not the best way to store disks. Yeah, I know jewel cases are expensive though.

Thanks.

--
Jim Sabatke
Hire Me!! - See my resume at http://my.execpc.com/~jsabatke

Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.