RE: [SLE] Bad Disks
  • From: "Damon Jebb" <list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 May 2004 15:37:07 +0100
Jim Sabatke said
<Does anyone have a way of cleaning/polishing CDs?>

It may or may not help now, but some CD copying programs will recover
damaged CD's if you are lucky. I have more experience of this on
Windows and if you have access to windows I think WinISO may help. You
could try mkisofs under SuSE, with some work the least you could do is
assemble a CD that has all the intact files on it, so that you can
cleanly install them.

I copy my distro the minute I get it and use the copies. That way I can
throw them about and not worry too much, just make a new copy if it
fails. If the distro CD is dodgy from the start this could help to make
a reliable copy (I find that the severity of the problem varies from
drive to drive, depending on things like how old they are). Also a
quick clean-up of the drive can help sometimes with marginal disks.

HTH

Damon