RE: [SLE] No mouse pointer after SuSE 9.0 Pro install. -- FIX
  • From: "John N. Alegre" <listhub@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 05 May 2004 08:37:05 -0500 (CDT)
As a follow up for the archives.

This, as well as my screen resolution problems, got fixed when I did in install
of the latest NIVIDIA drivers correctly.

The mistake I made the first time around was not waiting for the sax2 step to
complete. I am doing this on a 2.52GHz Pentium with 1G RAM. Things on this
machine happen pretty fast. The sax2 step takes a long time and part of the
process is a total blank black screen. I interperted this as failure and
aborted the sax2. The length of this step should be better documented in the
http://www.suse.de/~sndirsch/nvidia-installer-HOWTO.

When I did things exactly as outlined in that HOWTO and waited for the sax2
step to complete the NVIDIA drivers got installed and everything works
including 3D support and mouse support. I did download the latest
NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-5336-pkg1.run shar file from www.nvidia.com. The upgrade
step for the NVIDIA in YOU did not appear to work for me automatically.

All is now working fine. You can tell when it is going to work as just before
you get the X spalsh screen you get a NVIDIA splash screen if things are right.

Hope this helps others.
john
# Original Question
On 30-Apr-04 John N. Alegre wrote:
> After an install of 9.0 Pro there is no Mouse Pointer.
>
> The configuration of the mouse in XF86config is "auto". It is a three button
> mouse. The mouse worked fine with pointer during the entire install process.
>
> The mouse works. I can select things fine with standard mouse clicks and
> double clicks. I just can NOT see the pointer.
>
> Can anybody help???
>
> I am new to SuSE not to Linux (since Red Hat 5.2).
>
> I am very happy about the SuSE product. It is a superior distribution.
>
> Can anyone help me with the mouse problem or point me to the correct data.
>
> As I said above the mouse IS working there is just no visible pointer.
>
> john

John N. Alegre o
Andante Systems o
eCommerce Consulting o