ULB & 9.1
  • From: James Ogley <james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 05 May 2004 13:14:54 +0100
Everyone,

Just thought I'd give a quick heads up about my thoughts as my receipt
of a copy of 9.1 approaches (it's on order, waiting for Amazon UK to
ship it...). I'll be replicating this in my blog, so Planet SuSE
readers can see it too.

Obviously my intention is to produce packages of the various apps that I
provide for 9.1. In addition to them, I'm also planning to provide
Evolution 1.5 packages for anyone who wants to get their hands dirty and
test the code that will become Evolution 2.0. This will be parallel
installable with 1.4.x.

Also, expect GTK+ to be updated to 2.4.x, with the new official file
selector. Packages built against 2.2.x will continue to work, but an
increasing number of apps are starting to require 2.4, so it makes sense
going forward to have working packages. (Apps that require GTK+ 2.4 at
the moment, off the top of my head, are Totem, the next release of
Galeon, the next development tree of Gnumeric, there are probably
more). I'll also try to get packages of various language bindings for
GTK+ 2.4, such as Perl, Python, C++, Java...

I've been working recently on SuSE support for GNOME System Tools, now,
I'll be honest and say that my local copies don't all work quite as I
want (segv-tastic), but I'm ironing out issues as and when I have time,
so packages of GST may make an appearance.

So, what of ULB GNOME? Well, readers of blog will know that back in
March I was musing about the Ximian input in 9.1 rendering ULB GNOME
obsolete. This may well be the case, certainly the small amount of time
I was able to put in on the 9.1 betas suggested the default GNOME
install is a lot niftier in 9.1 than before, but I shall wait till I've
had a chance to use it "in anger" before making that decision.
Certainly, ulb-themes will continue to be available as a package, along
with gnome-themes-extras, and the other themes on the site.

Finally, cos I know a lot of people are going to ask, am I going to do
GNOME 2.6 packages? Honest answer is I don't know, but I doubt it, I
almost certainly don't have the time to do the sort of testing I'd like,
but I guess you never know...

James
--
James Ogley, Webmaster, Rubber Turnip james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx