Re: [SLE] 486 fast enough?
  • From: Gerhard den Hollander <gerhard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 May 2004 09:33:16 +0200
* Hans du Plooy <hansdp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Sat, May 01, 2004 at 02:38:02PM +0200)
> Hi all,

> I have a 486 DX2-66 with 16mb RAM that I'd like to use as a firewall for
> dial-up at home. Network card is a 10-base ISA card, it has a vesa-localbus
> IDE controller and 1gb Maxtor disc. The disc was from a P-I of which the
> mobo went bad. The firewall was already setup with forwarding and squid
> proxy on the disc.

I used to have a 386 w/ 8m of ram as a firewall for an entire office (20+
users over a dual ISDN line) It ran a Suse 6.4 (? I think) and whatever the
2.0 version of iptables/iptraf was , including full masquerading, automatic
dial up and everything.

> I tried it once but the result was disappointing. I could not get anymore
> than about 1kbps download speed, and response was really slow. Even with the
> proxy and all other unnecessary services disabled, matters didn't improve. I
> tried both SuSE 6.3 and the latest IP-COP (www.ipcop.org) with all the
> patches loaded.

I wopuld very strongly recommend to *NOT* run squid on the box.

Only use it as a firewall and nothing else (well, OK, you might run DNS or
similar on it)

> Is a machine like this just too slow? Or is the RAM insufficient? It only
> serves two clients on normal analog dialup.

I suspect squid.

Kind regards,
--
Gerhard den Hollander Phone :+31-10.280.1515
ICT manager Direct:+31-10.280.1539

solely for the use of the addressee. This e-mail shall not be deemed binding
unless confirmed in writing. If you have received it by mistake, please let us
know by e-mail reply and delete it from your system; you may not copy this
message or disclose its contents to anyone. Please note that any views or
opinions presented in this e-mail are solely those of the author and do not
necessarily represent those of the company. E-mail transmission cannot be
guaranteed to be secure or error-free. The sender therefore does not accept
liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of this message, which
arise as a result of e-mail transmission.