Re: [SLE] 486 fast enough?
  • From: Mads Martin Joergensen <mmj@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 May 2004 07:50:53 +0200
* Hans du Plooy <hansdp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [May 04. 2004 23:36]:
> On Tuesday 04 May 2004 20:25, Mads Martin Joergensen wrote:
> > NetBSD is definately the way to go here.
>
> Would FreeBSD work as well, or is NetBSD actually faster/lighter? I thought
> of a minimal gentoo too - I have enough extra machines that can do distcc to
> make that not quite as painful and slow as it might otherwise be.

FreeBSD would still be a lot faster, but NetBSD is lighter. And I
wouldn't pay too much attention to those people suggesting Gentoo,
in the same league because it's still glibc vs. libc.so.5

You can have a complete server installation in 30-40 MB with NetBSD.

The BSD's are really excellent for bring such old hardware back to life.

--
Mads Martin Joergensen, http://mmj.dk
"Why make things difficult, when it is possible to make them cryptic