Re: [SLE] realtime clock probs-solved ...
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin1.listas@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 May 2004 16:53:46 +0200 (CEST)

The Tuesday 2004-05-04 at 07:16 +0100, Sid Boyce wrote:

> I haven't been following this thread closely and assuming xntp is being
> used to synchronise the clocks. I've installed a new motherboard and I
> am seeing clock drift possibly because of a low battery,

If you had read my article O:-), you would know that while the system is
up and running the CMOS clock is not used for anything in linux: thus a
low battery has no effect at all; after boot, that is.

If that drift is while running, and you have 9.0, read this:

http://portal.suse.com/sdb/en/2003/10/pohletz_desktop_90.html

If the drift is only at boot time, delete /etc/adjtime

> though ACPI is
> not reporting anything. I've had to edit crontab "crontab -e -u root"
> and insert the following line to keep my clock synched.
> * * * * * /usr/sbin/ntptimeset -S 1 -s >/dev/null 2>&1

Every minute! that's not the solution.

--
Cheers,
Carlos Robinson