Re: [SLE] Antivir update on dialup connect?
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin1.listas@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 May 2004 17:01:33 +0200 (CEST)

The Monday 2004-05-03 at 21:39 -0700, Fred M. Sloniker wrote:

> Not wanting to be the one idiot who managed to get a Linux box infected
> with a virus, I thought I'd install antivir while I was doing stuff like
> testing my firewall and popup protection. Well, I've done so, but I'm not
> sure it's working. 'ps ax | grep antivir' doesn't show it at work.

That's correct. It doesn't show because it is not running; and it is not
running because it is not designed to be kept running continously: this is
not windows, remember!

The program "antivir" is designed to be run from the command line to check
files. Or, used with amavis, to check incoming email. Or perhaps on a
server checking a samba share, for the windows clients shake.

> Speaking of cron jobs (and of the subject of this mail), I want antivir to
> run an update whenever I connect my dialup. I seem to recall it's a very
> simple thing to do to have it run (like fetchmail and xntp) whenever my
> dialup connects, but I don't remember how to actually do it. What's the
> simplest way to handle this?

/etc/ppp/ip-up.local

But what for? No viruses here... yet, at least. They only check for
"windows" viruses...

--
Cheers,
Carlos Robinson