RE: [SLE] Samba as BDC for Win2k3?
  • From: "Simon Oliver" <s.oliver@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 May 2004 15:43:47 +0100
> Thanks Simon, confirming my suspicions.
> Just so I can explain to my boss ('n MS professional) - what
> is the Samba shortcoming that prevents this?
>
> Thank you

As Ben said it is all to do with the replication protocols that Microsoft
use. The Smaba team just haven't had to time to work them all out yet. And
it's not in 3.0.3 either.

Quoting from the Samba man pages
<http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/howto/>

Samba-3 can not participate in true SAM replication and is therefore not
able to employ precisely the same protocols used by MS Windows NT4. A
Samba-3 BDC will not create SAM update delta files. It will not
inter-operate with a PDC (NT4 or Samba) to synchronize the SAM from delta
files that are held by BDCs.

Samba-3 cannot function as a BDC to an MS Windows NT4 PDC, and Samba-3 can
not function correctly as a PDC to an MS Windows NT4 BDC. Both Samba-3 and
MS Windows NT4 can function as a BDC to its own type of PDC.

--
Simon Oliver