Antivir update on dialup connect?
  • From: "Fred M. Sloniker" <fizzit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 May 2004 21:39:22 -0700
I thought for sure I'd asked a similar question on this mailing list
regarding xntp, but I can't find it searching the list, so I'll ask again,
this time about antivir.

Not wanting to be the one idiot who managed to get a Linux box infected
with a virus, I thought I'd install antivir while I was doing stuff like
testing my firewall and popup protection. Well, I've done so, but I'm not
sure it's working. 'ps ax | grep antivir' doesn't show it at work. Do I
need to add it to a cron job or something, or does SuSE's install take
care of that? And if I need to do it myself, how do I do it?

Speaking of cron jobs (and of the subject of this mail), I want antivir to
run an update whenever I connect my dialup. I seem to recall it's a very
simple thing to do to have it run (like fetchmail and xntp) whenever my
dialup connects, but I don't remember how to actually do it. What's the
simplest way to handle this?

I'm running SuSE 9.0, just in case it's important.