Re: [SLE] Hacked?
  • From: Lucky Leavell <susemisc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 May 2004 12:35:24 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004, Carlos E. R. wrote:

> My guess is that you have a reiserfs partition, and that it is corrupted.
> Reboot form the CD, enter rescue system, and run "reiserfsck" on your
> partition. Follow its advices.

Yes it is the [default] reiserfs. I have done quite a bit of research on
Linux FSes since posting this and wish there were a clear choice. I guess
all I can do is try each (particularly xfs and jfs) and see which gives
the most reliable FS.

I understand the need to boot from a rescue CD/floppy to repair a FS but
can, for example, reiserfsck --check be run on a running system or does
even that require using the rescue system? (I read the man page on
reiserfsck and could not find the answer.)

Thank you,
Lucky Leavell