RE: [SLE] Why should I buy 64bit hardware ?
  • From: "Richard Mixon (qwest)" <rnmixon@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 May 2004 08:45:09 -0700
Koenrad,

If you really expect to use this 4 to 5 years, then going 64-bit makes sense. The boards are under 200 US$ an the chips are around
200 US$ - i.e. it will cost you about 200 US$ extra to go 64bit. All the other costs (memory and hard drive) are the same. Do the
Opteron only if it is a pure server load - its clock speed is lower, but its got better memory management as I understand it.

Otherwise, save the 200 US$ and get a 32bit Athlon/P4 and a compatible motherboard.

I agree with Jerry's post - to not do RAID1 these days is insanity on a file server.

- Richard