RE: [SLE] Why should I buy 64bit hardware ?
  • From: "Richard Mixon (qwest)" <rnmixon@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 May 2004 08:37:38 -0700
Jerry,

All great points, except your first. 64bit systems do not use twice as much memory as 32bit systems. Their internal registers are
twice as large, and they pull from RAM 64bits at a time instead of 32 bits. That does not make them use twice as much memory.

I run Opteron Java application servers. Our memory heap sizes are approximately the same as on our 32bit machines.

- Richard