Re: [SLE] cannot open root device
  • From: John Wilkes <john@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 May 2004 07:34:23 -0700 (PDT)
On Mon, 3 May 2004, Carlos E. R. wrote:

> See if file "/etc/sysconfig/kernel" contains the line:
>
> INITRD_MODULES="reiserfs"

It does.

> That should be booting "vmlinuz" in the first IDE disk, first partition.
> Ie, hda1 should be "/boot". That is correct, I think.

Correct.

> however, you reported the error as:
>
> > VFS: Cannot open root device "hda3" on 03:03"
>
> That, according to grub manual, should be hardisk number four (it is cero
> based), and partition number four (primary) - that doesn't make much
> sense, if the error comes from grub.

You are correct that grub numbers from zero, but that message is
coming from the kernel on the /boot partition, not grub.

> Have you changed the ordering of disks in the bios? Boot sequence?

No.

I can boot the SuSE 7.3 system I have on my /dev/hdb disk and mount
/dev/hda3 on /mnt. I don't need that old 7.3 system, and I intend to
install SuSE 8.2 on top of it to get mostly back to where I was.

I've mounted the /var partition and looked at the /var/log/messages
file, but there is nothing suspicious in there. Specifically, no disk
I/O errors reported.

/jw
--
John Wilkes