Re: [SLE] Upgrade to 9.1 via FTP when available???
  • From: Anders Johansson <andjoh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 2 May 2004 03:57:11 +0200
On Sunday 02 May 2004 02.54, David Gonzalez wrote:
> Hello suse-linux-e,
>
> I've been asking about how can i upgrade from version 9.0 which is
> my installed SuSE to 9.1 via FTP?.
>
> Which are the risks and steps to take to do a clean upgrae with no
> side effects.
>
> Would you give me a hand?.

The differences between 9.0 and 9.1 are fairly small, so it's pretty simple.
Just set the 9.1 directory as an installation source in yast, disable the 9.0
source, and start "System update".

Before you do this you should do a backup of any data you want to keep in the
event of a crash, such as that in /home and /etc. Odds are that you won't
have any need for it, but you should nevertheless do it whenever you do
something major like this. Better safe than sorry, and all that.

After the upgrade you should run through the list you get
in /var/adm/rpmconfigcheck and make sure all config files are current and
correct.