Can't proceed with SUSE FTP install
  • From: Trey Sizemore <trey@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Feb 2004 19:27:59 -0500
I've installed SUSE 9 via FTP on my older machine a couple of times. I now have a newer machine and the FTP install is giving me some troubles. Specifically, I have an onboard VIA-Rhine network on the motherboard and a new Netgear router. In doing the install steps, I'm performing a manual install, loading the VIA-Rhine driver module (although when I choose this it says "mii module loaded successfully"). Kind of odd. I then enter the IP for the mirror I want (I've triple-checked this) and then the machine sits there saying it's attempting the FTP connection. After several minutes, it times out saying:

Error while accessing the FTP server
Failed to connect to FTP server

I've googled for this and found a couple similar posts, but none of them had any resolution. I would imagine either it's an issue with the network card module or possible the router, although I boot Win2000 on this same drive and can access the net.

Hoping someone can shed some light on something to try as I'd like to get SUSE 9 on this machine.

Thanks.