Re: [SLE] Samba 3 & LDAP
  • From: "L. Mark Stone" <LMStone@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 09:13:21 -0500
On Fri, 2004-03-19 at 08:55, Koenraad Lelong wrote:
> Hi,
> Is anyone running Samba 3 with ldap on Suse9.0 ? Is there a HowTo you
> followed ? Any pointers to documents (besides the obvious Samba 3
> HowTo-collection, I'll have to reread this again anyway) ?

We are testing this now on a lab machine with a Linux host and several
Windows2K and Windows XP VMware guest clients. The HOWTO collection is a
must-read (we bought the hard copy version of the book; saved us a lot
of grief). Plus, John Terpstra is coming out at the end of the month
with a Samba-3 "cookbook" (Samba-3 by Example: Practical Exercises to
Successful Deployment), containing specific, step-by-step procedures for
setting up different Samba-3 environments.

I've had a few phone calls with John, and he thinks SuSE is a terrific
base OS for Samba.

On the Samba list server, much of the traffic is regarding Samba-3 and
LDAP; a lot has changed since 2.2.8a. I think 3 makes setup much easier,
but so much has changed from 2 that there is a steep learning curve.

I hope this is helpful,

L. Mark Stone
President
Reliable Networks of Maine, LLC