Re: [SLE] RAID and Swap.
  • From: John Andersen <jsa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 19:14:09 -0900
On Thursday 18 March 2004 18:42, Mobeen Azhar wrote:
> If you lose your swap drive during machine uptime, most likely the
> machine will crash.  Hence one benefit of putting swap on RAID is
> increased fault tolerance, although with software RAID you do have to
> balance that with a slight decrease in performance.

I have lost swap drives in the past. Ran half a week without
noticing. Some processes died when they could not swap
stuff back IN. But the machine ran fine since (as is normally
the case) swap was used very little.

If one insists on mirroring swap its best to get one of those
hardware raid controllers which eliminated the need for software
raid and often the OS is totally unaware it has a raid.
Those things are rally cheap these days ($30) if all you want
is raid 1 mirroring.

--
John Andersen