Re: [SLE] newbie video editing
  • From: Manzabar <manzabar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 01:52:40 -0600
On Thursday 18 March 2004 12:16 am, Steve Lett wrote:
> He has DragonballZ tapes (OK, OK, stop laughing,
> he's only 11) and we have a VCR to use.

There's nothing entirely wrong with liking DragonballZ. It's not my
personal cup of tea, but some of my co-workers are big fans of it.

> How do I use the VCR to send the movies to the 'puter?
> I'm assuming there is some kind of video card that
> will let us connect the VCR and rip the video.

You're going to want a video capture card. While you can get video cards
with this capability; they tend to be a lot more expensive. I'm afraid I
can't make specific recommendations here as video editing is one of the
things that I've been meaning to look into but haven't had time yet.
Maybe somebody else on the list can give you more info on specific
hardware to look at.

> What Linux software is out there that handles this
> kind of work? We'll be installing SuSE 8.2.

From my limited researching on video editing, it looks like you'll want to
start reading up on Kino, but that might be more for capturing/editing
video from digital camcorders (using firewire/ieee1394 ports) rather than
from a VCR & a video capture card. You can find Kino at
http://kino.schirmacher.de/article/static/2

Best of luck to you and your grandson!
--
Mark McKibben