Re: [SLE] Lynx not working as browser in pine
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin1.listas@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 03:15:02 +0100 (CET)

The Wednesday 2004-03-17 at 11:37 -0600, Jim Westbrook wrote:

> With a url highlighted in the body of a msg, pressing enter twice (select /
> confirm) just flashes the screen without displaying the desired url.

I know, it is a long term bug: I saw it recently on the pine that came
with suse 7.3, and it remains there with a brand new Pine compiled from
downloaded sources. Surprising :-/

What I do is, I press enter on the URL; I see this (for example):

|View selected URL "http://lists.suse.com"; ?
|Y [Yes] U editURL
|N No A editApp

I select "A" first; I see:

|Viewer Command: lynx -dump _URL_
|
|^C Cancel Ret Accept

The problem, I think, is the "-dump" parameter:

| -dump dumps the formatted output of the default document
| or one specified on the command line to standard
| output. This can be used in the following way:
|
| lynx -dump http://www.trill-home.com/lynx.html

Ie, it dumps the page to stdout, and expect Pine to display it and wait,
but it doesn't: that's what you see. I manually change that line to "links
"_URL_" because links supports panels, and lynx doesn't.

The "real solution" should be to change the configuration, like this (for
me):

| url-viewers = /usr/bin/links "_URL_"

But it is completely ignored, it insists on using lynx. So I have to edit
the comand line _every_ time I want to view an url from Pine :-/

> I have also tried launching lynx from a shell script thinking that it might
> need a shell in which to run. This may have some merit, because lynx was
> visibly running, but displaying its default instruction page -- as if it had
> been called w/o a target url. Here, I suspect that the child environment
> did not receive the passed parameter from pine.

That's because it needs the _"_ around the _URL_ token on the comand line.
It seems to use some "clever" logic, and SuSE puts a patch to dissable it;
at least, it is that way in SuSE 7.3, which is the version I checked last
week.

> I'm stumped. Is there a way to do this or am I just flagellating a deceased
> equine?

I hope not.

--
Cheers,