Need Help With Partitions
  • From: Dan Weisenstein <dan@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 11:48:27 -0700
In a pervious post, I asked what tools to use for partitioning. I got a nice tool at www.sysresccd.org which is an ISO image to make a bootable CD. It has qtparted on it as well as other utilities.

My original configuration looked like this, automatically set up at installation time. (the free space originally was taken up by Windows, but I shrunk the partitions with Partition Magic 8 to make free space on both drives.

hda - 40 Gig
------------------------------------
| Windows C: | free | Swap |
------------------------------------
15G 17G 502M

hdb - 120 Gig
| Windows D: | free | hdb2| hdb3 - linux-swap| hdb4 - extended / hdb5 - reiserfs |
59G 34G 101M 2G 17.5G
/boot /

I used qtpartd to make a filesystem on the free space hda (17G) and mounted it. So far so good. Now, on hdb, I want use the free space. Problem is, there are already four partitions so I can't make the free space a file system. What I'd like to do is to rearrange the partitions to looks like this:

| Windows D: | hdb2| hdb3 - linux swap | hdb4 - extended / hdb5 - reiserfs |
59G 101M 2G 49.5G
/boot /

Using qtpartd, I can't seem to move any of the partitions even though there is a "move" option. Move looks and acts just like "resize" and I can't see any way to move anything. Can what I want even be done? Can I move /boot and swap down the drive thereby moving the free space up the drive? Am I barking up the wrong tree? If so, can I back up and restore the root filesystem after re-partitioning and not lose anything? Or, am I looking at a complete reinstall?

Thanks- Dan

  • No further messages