Re: [SLE] I need some help with starting apache....
  • From: Patrick Shanahan <paka@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 12:39:46 -0500
* Tom Nielsen <tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [03-02-04 11:31]:
> I tried starting apache via yast and got this message:
>
> /etc/init.d/apache start returned 1 (Unspecified error.) Starting
> httpd [ PHP4 SSL ] An SSL passphrase has not been entered and shmfs
> within 2 seconds. To increase this timeout, adjust HTTPD_START_TIMEOUT
> in /etc/sysconfig/apache . ..failed
>
> What the heck does this mean and is it related?

Yup, means that you set a password (encrypted) in Yast when you setup
Apache2. The password is required to start apache2. The two seconds
is the timeout wait for password. I did this in 8.1 and could not
figure how to start apache on boot, so had to start manually after boot
so I could enter the password.

I would suggest you start apache with '/usr/sbin/apache2 start', then
present the password when requested.

or/ change and/or remove the password,
http://lists.suse.com/archive/suse-linux-e/2000-Apr/0650.html
If it is accomplished in the same manner now. Google is your friend.