VMWare and virtual machines-was:Re: [SLE] SuSE 9.1? (With a 2.6 kernel?)
  • From: "Steven T. Hatton" <hattons@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 12:18:09 -0500

On Tuesday 02 March 2004 11:22 am, Bruce Marshall wrote:
> On Tuesday 02 March 2004 11:12 am, Steven T. Hatton wrote:

> > How does it deal with network connections, and other potentially
> > competing resources?
>
> I think you're making it much more complicated than it really is.
>
> Many hardware architectures provide for a virtual mode, where the memory is
> mapped/translated so that it appears to the VM that it has been loaded at
> address 0. The host (linux in this case) pages the virtual memory and
> the hardware does the address translations.

I'm used to that. Mathematica is something of its own OS, and was more so
under WinDOS. As long as VMWare (Linux?) intercepts all the system calls
from NT, and responds in such a way NT thinks it's a CPU, then there's not a
problem. That doesn't sound all that trivial to me. You have to emulate a
bit more than just virtual memory. What happens to Windows drivers if Linux
is actually the OS controlling the hardware? Drivers get out there on the
busses an start manipulating the register sets on the hardware, or writing to
the video ram. Does VM Ware provide pseudo drivers that are installed in the
windows configuration?

> So far so good... and the only thing (a big generalization) that needs to
> be added is the ability to do 'low level' stuff such as disk IO, network
> stuff, etc. This is where VMware comes in.
>
> Whenever Win98 (for example) tries to make a call to do hardware types of
> things, i.e. things that a normal user program wouldn't be allowed to do,
> an interrupt is created and that interrupt goes to VMware which can
> simulate the disk IO as an example. Thus, Win98 can be writing to a
> reiserfs disk file which in fact, it knows nothing about reiserfs. VMware
> handles all the disk calls.

Does it support NT based OS's? If it's just WinDOS, that's can be done with a
bit more than an 8088 emulation.

> Same for networking and other calls.
>
> But yes, it is truely a virtual architecture which can be seen when
> installing windows into VMware. You have to do all of the normal things
> you would do on the real hardware... make partitions, format them, boot
> from a floppy, etc.

What happens to NTFS? I guess that's not really a problem if you start out
with VMWare, but what if your hardrive is already NTFS, full and huge?

>--+ + Bruce S. Marshall bmarsh@xxxxxxxxxx Bellaire, MI 03/02/04

STH