Re: [SLE] SuSE 9.1? (With a 2.6 kernel?)
  • From: David Krider <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2004 08:30:00 -0500
On Mon, 2004-03-01 at 20:56, Steven T. Hatton wrote:

> On Monday 01 March 2004 05:55 pm, Bruce Marshall wrote:
> > Once you learn how to compile a kernel and install it
> > side-by-side with *any* other kernel, you are home free. And it really
> > isn't that difficult. I would recommend it to anyone....

> I'm not sure exactly what I'd have to change these days to
> point to the correct boot image and initrd, but I'm loath to change things
> that SuSEconfig has under management, unless I use YaST to do it. If you do
> touch those files, you better pay close attention when applying patches, etc.
> SuSEconfig won't fix them up for you as it would its own work.

I've built a few kernels over the years, and I've come to the conclusion
that I, personally, would rather wait for new kernels to show up as the
default in new distributions. While I'm comfortable putting my own
kernel into place beside my other(s), what bugs me about using a 2.6
kernel these days is that no one seems to use the garden-variety
sources. Everyone seems to add this or that patch.

In addition, while researching how to fix the recent 192 kernel's
breakage of VMware, I accidently ran across a post on kerneltrap.org (I
think) that talked about getting VMware (and the binary Nvidia driver)
working under 2.6. That convinced me that the Linux world in general
isn't ready for this, especially not me. Shoot, it's bad enough keeping
VMware and the Nvidia driver working on production kernels shipped by
one of the "Big 3!"

dk

P.S. "Big 3" refers to Red Hat, SuSE, and Debian, in my mind. But Gentoo
keeps making strides. If they'd just make a binary reference platform
for each (popular) optimization level so that people wouldn't have to
recompile the whole thing if they didn't want to, I think they'd garner
a lot more attention.