Re: [SLE] Network census
  • From: "Paul W. Abrahams" <abrahams@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 21:18:12 -0500
On Monday 01 March 2004 4:44 pm, Jim Cunning wrote:
> Monday Mar 01 at 1:23pm, Paul W. Abrahams wrote:
>
> > Is there a network utility program I can use to see what computers are
locally
> > visible (i.e., they fall within the current netmask)? Getting their IP
> > addresses would suffice. I tried:
>
> Look at nmap. It has a number of options for doing exactly what you need.

Indeed it does. nmap was not on my system -- I guess it doesn't even come
with 9.0 personal --- but I was able to download and install the nmap package
using Yast with no trouble. The options that worked for me were:

nmap -sP 192.168.1.1-30

That produced a list of active nodes in short order.

Thanks a lot, Jim!

Paul Abrahams