Re: [SLE] SuSE 9.1? (With a 2.6 kernel?)
  • From: "Steven T. Hatton" <hattons@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 20:56:33 -0500

On Monday 01 March 2004 05:55 pm, Bruce Marshall wrote:
> On Monday 01 March 2004 05:51 pm, Steven T. Hatton wrote:

> > I'm glad others are still compiling their own kernel. It needs to
> > happen.
>
> Yes it does.... and in my view, it is far less problematic than trying to
> use the RPM's. Once you learn how to compile a kernel and install it
> side-by-side with *any* other kernel, you are home free. And it really
> isn't that difficult. I would recommend it to anyone....
>
> > STH

Don't bet too much on that. I know SuSE tend to back-port important features
which you might not get from the source. I guess as long as you leave the
SuSE kernel in place, you probably don't need to worry about rpm
dependencies. I'm not sure exactly what I'd have to change these days to
point to the correct boot image and initrd, but I'm loath to change things
that SuSEconfig has under management, unless I use YaST to do it. If you do
touch those files, you better pay close attention when applying patches, etc.
SuSEconfig won't fix them up for you as it would its own work.
> --
>--+ + Bruce S. Marshall bmarsh@xxxxxxxxxx Bellaire, MI 03/01/04

STH

< Previous Next >