Re: [SLE] help with IMAP
  • From: linuxjim <linuxjim@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 19:13:28 -0600
On Saturday 28 February 2004 17:25, Joe Morris (NTM) wrote:
> On 02/29/2004 03:50 AM, linuxjim wrote:
> >993 is open, but for now I working on an internal IP net. imap seems to be
> >listenting on 143, not 993.
>
> Imap will listen on 143, imaps will listen on 993. Imap will look for
> plaintext password, Imaps will be using ssl encryption. The imap
> package by default (and as compiled by SuSE since 8.2) disables
> plaintext password (thus the login disabled message below), so since you
> have generated the ssl certificate, you should setup your client to use
> ssl and port 993 (should be automatic 993 if you configure it for imap
> with ssl support.

Im not sure how to configure imapd, other than recompile it, which I also
don't know how to do. I can telnet to it at 143, but not 993. But on port 143
I cannot connect.

When I issued the cert, I did not configure it to for a particular port.

> >This line is in /var/log/mail:
> >Feb 26 21:45:53 jjfiii imapd[2440]: Login disabled user=bob auth=bob
> >host=[192.xxx.xxx.xxx]
>
> Must have been to port 143, which is effective disabled unless you
> recompile, or I believe 9.0 has another option (I still use 8.2) to
> enable plaintext password (check the docs).
>
> >This is where I attempted to log in via telnet from a local machine
> >(192.xxx.xxx.xxx) to user "bob".
> >
> >I set up two openssl certs. One for 192.xxx.xxx.xxx, and another for my IP
> >domain, jjfiii.com. I cannot connect via either one.
>
> I checked mine, and I have a imapd.pem and a ipop3d.pem. The name is
> significant for it to find the correct certificate. Not certain it is
> necessary, but try generating a certificate called imapd.pem. HTH.

There are 3 imapd.pem files.
1. imapd.pem (which was already there)
2. imapd-192.xxx.xxx.xxx.pem which I issued
3. imapd-jjfiii.com.pem also which I issued, as per the Suse web instructions

At this point I'm not sure it matters which port I connect to (143 or 993), as
long as the cert is working OK. It seems to be listenting on 143 and not 993,
why I don't know.

I beleive you did say you have it working, so that gives me hope.

Thanks for the help.

Jim Flanagan