Re: [SLE] sux vs. xhost (WAS: Re: [SLE] Xlib)
  • From: "Paul W. Abrahams" <abrahams@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 16:40:32 -0500
On Monday 01 March 2004 3:42 pm, Patrick Shanahan wrote:

> sudo _should_not_ allow you to operate root priv w/o password unless
> you have specifically altered /etc/sudoers. And if you did, you
> apparently do not care about security.

I'd say that the security one needs depends on one's situation. In my case I
have a home network sitting behind a router, so there are two kinds of
possible threats: ones originating from within my house and ones from
outside. The ones from within the house I don't worry about, particularly
since a malevolent person with time and knowledge could do just about
anything by rebooting from a rescue CD (and there aren't any malevolent
persons around as far as I know). As to the outside, the router is a pretty
effective firewall; even an intruder who knew my root password would have a
very hard time putting it to destructive use.

Things like email viruses are another matter, but so far the virus writers
don't seem to consider Linux mailers a worthwhile target.

Paul Abrahams