Re: [SLE] SuSE 9.1? (With a 2.6 kernel?)
  • From: "Steven T. Hatton" <hattons@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 16:13:08 -0500

On Monday 01 March 2004 01:08 pm, Hartmut Meyer wrote:

> (unfortunately only available in German) you find the information that
> around end of April the next release (9.1) is expected to be ready. It will
> be based on kernel 2.6 and KDE 3.2 (those are the only detais given).

After my very bad experience I just had backing out of an aborted 2.6 upgrade,
I have to say, sometimes waiting is not all that bad. Having the latest
release ensures you have most of the latest functionality, and /all/ of the
latest bugs. It really depends on what you want out of Linux. I've decided
compiling my own kernel is a bit too risky for the gain. I've been pretty
slow at trying the 2.6 from the kernelmeister. And I think it won't be until
it's on a CD that I try again.

> > Sorry if asking about this offends you (it usually offends _somebody_),
> > I'm just excited about the prospect of getting some new toys to play
> > with, most of all a production-level 2.6 kernel as the default!

Why should asking about the latest release of a company's product on the
company's mailing list dedicated to that product offend anybody? I think it
tends to generate interest in what's coming down the pike, and is good for
SuSE's business.

> If your company is considering deploying Linux on the desktop, then I'd
> strongly advise to go for the desktop business product (SUSE LINUX
> Desktop).
>
> http://www.suse.de/en/business/products/sld/index.html
>
> A version of SLD based on kernel 2.6 will be released later this year.

I sure hope they don't start subtracting from the Professional distribution to
differentiate it form the SLD.

> You wouldn't/shouldn't consider a product that gives you no enterprise
> ready support option. The normal SUSE LINUX distribution is aiming directly
> at the home user and does *not* offer anything near to what an enterprise
> might need when it comes to support.

As far as /technical/ support goes, that is correct. SuSE provides far more
than MSXP when it comes to productivity software. And with the (proprietary)
Ximian Connector it will interface with MS-Exchange more easily, which is the
one place where I found problems using Open Source in a corporate network.

> Greetings from Bremen
> hartmut

STH