sux vs. xhost (WAS: Re: [SLE] Xlib)
  • From: "Paul W. Abrahams" <abrahams@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 15:31:09 -0500
On Monday 01 March 2004 3:11 pm, Patrick Shanahan wrote:

> No, 'xhost x' is *very* insecure. The command to use is 'sux'.

I can't find a manpage entry for sux, so I can't learn more about it. But my
little bit of experimentation suggests that it has very different
functionality from xhost. In particular, with xhost it's possible to use
sudo so that root commands can be executed without a password.

Now I realize that some people feel that using sudo is a terrible idea -- but
if you accept its use, is there any way then to execute X commands locally
that require root privilege without having to specify a password?

Paul Abrahams