Re: [SLE] Lost root
  • From: damien.selles@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 18:21:30 +0100

One solution can be:

- boot on any other device than your harddisk..
boot on the SLES CD in rescue mode... boot on any linux boot floppy..
- mount the FS of your disk that contains the /etc directory data
- vi the file /etc/shadow
- you should have a line root:XXXX:something... where XXXX stands for your
crypted root password
- remove the XXXX
- restart your box and this time boot on you HardDisk
- at the prompt type "root", no password should be requested
- And do not forget to create a new password.

regards
Damien.

Janus Sandsgaard
<lister@xxxxxxxx>