Re: [SLE] Apache2 config with SuSE 9.0 secure Directory
  • From: poeml@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 09:07:35 +0100
On Sat, Feb 28, 2004 at 02:21:33PM -0800, MindBender wrote:
> For days now I have been tryiong to configure my
> Apache2 server I have read the How-to and donc from
> apache.. but I cant get to work the directory with
> password protection. there is 2 config file in SuSE
> 9.0 for apache2... when in the directives :
> if I put
> <Directory /path_to_directory/restricted_directory>
> with AllowOverride AuthConfig
> and other config param
> </Directory>
> it does not work. but if I put
> <Directory />
> with AllowOverride AuthConfig
> and other config param
> </Directory>
> it work .. when a user connect to the web page he get
> ask for user_name & passwd..
> but that is not what I want.. I only want to protect
> some directory..

Could this be a misunderstanding? The "AllowOverride AuthConfig" alone
doesn't mean any restriction. It only means that a .htaccess-based
restriction _will_ be honoured.

Where is /path_to_directory/restricted_directory? Is it below any
directory that is already configured for access by apache?

Never forget that apache configuration is always recursive.

> I have also try putting the .htpasswd & .htaccess
> in the directory that I want to protect but they are
> ignore by the server.. can anybody point me to what
> might be the problem..what do I need to look for in
> order to resolve this issue.

Peter
  • No further messages