Re: [SLE] Recreational use of screensavers?
  • From: "Steven T. Hatton" <hattons@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 02:22:00 -0500

On Monday 01 March 2004 02:00 am, Anders Johansson wrote:

> They're just programs. You can just run them like any other program, like
>
> /opt/kde3/bin/kspace.kss
> or
> /usr/X11R6/lib/xscreensaver/flipscreen3d
>
> or whichever

Thanks. This looks to be a modestly challenging programming exercise for my
newly acquired programming C++ skills. Talking about sticking pins in you
own eyes! C++ is a b!tch. It would probably seem easier if I didn't already
know Java.

Running help on one of the files revealed something interesting. It was
written by Z. That dude gets around!

Mon Mar 01 02:08:43:> /usr/X11R6/lib/xscreensaver/flipscreen3d --help
Screenflip: from the XScreenSaver 4.12 distribution (14-Aug-2003.)
http://www.jwz.org/xscreensaver/

Options include: -root, -window, -mono, -install, -noinstall,
-visual <arg>, -window-id <arg>, -no-rotate, -rotate,
-delay <arg>, -wireframe, -no-wireframe, -fps, -no-fps.

http://www.jwz.org/

I'm going to try to figure out a way to create a control panel that sniffs the
app and builds a control widget on the fly. But first I just want to be able
to list them, and resize the display. I've noticed the top level widget
isn't resizeable. I think if I make it subordinate to one that is, it should
resize ok.

Do you happen to know if the current screensavers have their widgets
dynamically built, or is a specially setup widget created for each one?

STH

< Previous Next >