Re: [SLE] Database front ends
  • From: John Pettigrew <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 00:03:02 +0100
In a previous message, Hans Forbrich wrote:

> John Pettigrew wrote:
> > True - largely because I don't care :-)
>
> But it does make a difference in the answer.

Not really - if something fulfils my needs, I am happy for recommendations
whether it's based on SQL, Oracle or anything else.

In this, I am entirely user-focused. I am happy to learn a new dbms in order
to construct the db, because I'll have to do that whatever route I take.
Once that's done, though, my day-to-day interaction with the system is at
the level of forms and reports only, so these are my priority.

> a) Database ......
>
> However, Oracle does have a special database license called 'Oracle9i
> Personal'. This is a full version of Oracle, 100% compatible with the
> Standard and Enterprise versions - designed for developers but permitting
> single user deployment.

Oracle is rather expensive for my needs, even the Personal edition. I need
few of the advanced features - just a relational dbms with decent reporting
facilities and easy form entry.

John
--
John Pettigrew Headstrong Games