Re: [SLE] Database front ends
  • From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 09:56:28 -0600
John Pettigrew wrote:

> I need to move the database I use to run my business to linux soon and am
> starting to look at the options.
>
> Now, the backend power is clearly there but there seems to be a lack of good
> front ends - and by "good", I mean something that can produce a high-quality
> printed report. Almost everything that I've seen is fine for on-screen work,
> when all that is needed is a row-and-column representation.
>
> The best I've found so far is Knoda, but I'd prefer something gtk based
> (because I use Gnome as my desktop). Does anyone know of anything that
> produces good, WYSIWYG reports with graphics, page layout and text
> formatting?
>
> TiA

You gloss over a few parameters in your discussion, especially about which
back-end database, and whether you intend to stay open source on this.

If you are looking at Oracle as the back end, then I recommend the entire Oracle
9i tech stack stream ... Oracle9i Database, Oracle9i App Server and Oracle9i
Developer Suite. If not, no need to read on ........

The app server provides full reports, ad-hoc query, message queueing and
workflow - all web based, all interactive, supporting multiple output formats
including PDF/compressed PDF/CSS/paper.

Down sides for the Oracle stuff - potentially expensive (especially compared to
free/open source), not the easiest to install, fairly resource intensive.

Up sides - reliable, supported, large community, commercial quality, integrated,
yadda, yadda, ya ...