Re: [SLE] Processes stuck in D state ??
  • From: Anders Johansson <andjoh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 02:14:24 +0200
On Wednesday 28 May 2003 00.53, Greg Freemyer wrote:
> Does anyone have any idea what is going on?

Usually, this is because of disk errors. It's normally accompanied by tons of
error messages in /var/log/messages. State D is when a process is
"uninterruptable", meaning it's stuck inside a kernel thread. I've seen it
happen with bad disks and with bad hardware drivers. I had it happen once
with a scsi scanner. The only way to get it to die was to either pull the
plug on the scanner, causing some sort of hardware reset that the driver
thankfully recognized, or to reboot.

The fact that you're running arkeia and that's also stuck seems to point to a
problem with some disk.