Re: [SLE] Directory /root deleted
  • From: Anders Johansson <andjoh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 20:47:03 +0200
On Wednesday 14 May 2003 18:20, Patrick J. Hays wrote:
> My question is: How can I reconstruct the /root directory?

mkdir /root
chmod 700 /root
cp -a /etc/.skel/* /root/
for i in /etc/skel/.*; do [ "$i" = "/etc/skel/." -o "$i" = "/etc/skel/.." ] ||
cp -a $i /root/; done

> Second question is What is is the /root directory of any importance
> apart from .Xauthority?

.Xauthority isn't important. If it isn't there it will be reconstructed the
next time you start X. It's only important in that it can screw up sux, kdesu
and other "run X programs as root" things if it isn't correct.

I don't think there's anything especially important in there, it just needs to
be there so you can log in properly in case you have to do systems
maintenance. Apart from that, /root is just another user account home
directory