Re: [SLE] Linux Performance vs. Windows XP perfoprmance.
  • From: Alex Daniloff <alex@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 11:37:25 -0700
Looks like you're doing the same mistake (as the originator of initial
posting), in subjective judgement of the OS speed - Linux vs. Windows.
How do you measure NT/W98 vs. Linux linux speed across the LAN?
Have you ran any comparative scalability vs. number of connection
tests on these two systems? Can you provide any data or numbers.
If not, this is just a plain speculations.
We have ran comparative scalability tests on WinXP Server vs. SuSE 8.1
server. Here is the outcome in short:
WinXP "server" started to faze out just after 30 simultaneous client
connections/sec, completely stumbled at 85 and crashed at 93.
We repeated the test at 150 conn/sec and this time WinXP was
displaying infamous BSOD.
Linux server sustained 127 simultaneous client connection/sec without
noticeable lost in performance and started to show 15% degraded
performance after 278 connections/sec. We cranked up number of
connection/sec up to 400 and the system was running about 50% slower
but rock stable. The test were done on absolutely identical hardware.
This demonstration was enough to convince our management to make Linux
our company wide standard for the servers and engineering
workstations.

Alex