Re: [SLE] Split backup to fit on CD
  • From: Adam Leach <suse@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 12 May 2003 22:48:54 +0100
On Mon, 2003-05-12 at 22:05, David Krider wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-05-13 at 07:04, Ronald Wiplinger wrote:
> > I would like to backup to CD, but the tar.gz files are bigger. How can I
> > split it so that it fits on a CD?

Hate to state the obvious but

split --bytes=600m cd.tar.gz

then cat cd.tar.gz.01 cd.tar.gz.02 ..... > cd.tar.gz

split --help
Usage: split [OPTION] [INPUT [PREFIX]]
Output fixed-size pieces of INPUT to PREFIXaa, PREFIXab, ...; default
PREFIX is `x'. With no INPUT, or when INPUT is -, read standard input.

Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options too.
-a, --suffix-length=N use suffixes of length N (default 2)
-b, --bytes=SIZE put SIZE bytes per output file
-C, --line-bytes=SIZE put at most SIZE bytes of lines per output
file
-l, --lines=NUMBER put NUMBER lines per output file
--verbose print a diagnostic to standard error just
before each output file is opened
--help display this help and exit
--version output version information and exit

SIZE may have a multiplier suffix: b for 512, k for 1K, m for 1 Meg.

Report bugs to <bug-textutils@xxxxxxx>.

< Previous Next >