Re: [SLE] Is an imap server listening on port 25 (smtp)
  • From: Anders Johansson <andjoh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 08 May 2003 01:37:07 +0200
On Thu, 2003-05-08 at 01:28, Bo Jacobsen wrote:
> Does anyone know how emails are delivered to an imap server. Is it listening on
> port 25 or what.
>
> If it is, how can Postfix and an imap-server run on the same host.

By definition, an imap server listens on the imap port (143, 220 or 993,
depending on dialect). port 25 is the smtp port, so that requires an
smtp server, such as postfix.

Some program might conceivably be both imap and smtp at the same time
(though the only example I can think of is exchange), but it's still two
different functions.

mail is delivered by telling your mail delivery system to deliver it to
the imap server. In the case of postfix and cyrus, you set up a named
pipe for the communication between smtp and imap. In the case of
UW-imap, I seem to remember that the imap server worked on the standard
mbox spool files that most mail delivery agents use by default.