Re: [SLE] Compose key and 8.1
  • From: Sjoerd Hiemstra <shiems@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 20:59:15 +0100
On Thu, 21 Nov zentara wrote:
> Does anyone have know what key to press to
> get a Compose key in a plain ascii console.
> <Right-Shift> + <Right-Control> is working for
> me in an xterm , but I can't seem to get a compose
> key in a plain terminal.

Don't know all about it, but since no one else answered your question,
let me tell what I do know.

Special characters in a text console can be obtained by pressing and
holding the Alt key while entering the decimal code for the character on
the numerical keypad.
The codes can be found in 'man ascii' and 'man iso-8859-1' or 'man
iso-8859-15' etc.
Example: Alt+225 = á

I haven't yet heard of something like a 'compose key' or 'deadkeys' in
the text console.
However, there is a way to assign special characters to keys. As an
example, I'll show how to assign á, à, â and ä to F8, Shift-F8, AltGr-F8
and Ctrl-F8 respectively.

1. In a text console, find out the keycode for F8 by issuing the command
showkey
and pressing F8 within 10 seconds.
In my case it's 66.
Wait for more than 10 seconds to leave the command.

2. Create a file named spec_chars.map (or whatever.map) with these
contents:
include "/usr/share/kbd/keymaps/i386/qwerty/us.map.gz"
keycode 66 = F101 F102 F103 F104
string F101 = "á"
string F102 = "à"
string F103 = "â"
string F104 = "ã"
NOTE: for SuSE 7.1 and 7.2 (and 7.3, I presume), the first line
should be:
include "/usr/lib/kbd/keymaps/i386/qwerty/us.map.gz"
us.map.gz should be replaced by your own keymap; uk.map.gz etc.

More about these nonexistent function keys is explained in 'man
loadkeys', section 'LOAD KERNEL STRING TABLE".

3. Enter the command
loadkeys spec_chars.map
(as a normal user)

Now try F8, Shift-F8, AltGr-F8 and Ctrl-F8 and you see that they produce
á, à, â and ä.

There are several ways to make this work automatically on every reboot.
As root, you could gzip the spec_chars.map file and put it into the
systems keymap directory. Then put the line 'loadkeys spec_chars.map.gz'
in ~/.bashrc, for example.

Sjoerd