Re: [SLE] Running an FTP Server with 'root' privs
  • From: James Mohr <suse_mailing_list@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 19:14:51 +0100
On Thursday 21 November 2002 16:58, Eric Carbone wrote:
> A client of mine wants to use an FTP Server app called CrushFTP
> (www.crushftp.com).
> It looks like a great program. (Simple GUI, powerful features, etc).
>
> It has a big problem, though:
> It is a java based app. When you start it up, it assumes you want to use
> port 21 for FTP. (the norm). However, you immediately get an error that
> 'cannot use port 21...'

Sorry, but I am a little confused here. This is a server. So you are starting
the server as root or as a a normal user? Typically you are supposed to
start servers as root. All the "normal" servers started out of /etc/init.d
are started as root, and as Geoff pointed out will often switch to a more
restricted user. If you can log into the system as root, why can't you
simply start the server as root?

If you are trying to start it as root, and get this errror, perhaps something
is already bound to port 21. Is there no more to the error to indicate
whether is is a permissions problem or not? Immediately after you run it an
get this error, what does "echo $?" show?

> The author of this app offers the following solution (see text between ****
> below)
> (Please note that the instructions below are specific to Mac OS X, but I
> have the same problem in linux)
>
> My question: Since I don't want to log on as root, how do I go about giving
> a user the necessary 'root' privileges?

<snip>

> The reason why this is necessary is because ports below 1025 (such as "21"
> that an FTP server runs on) are considered reserved ports. Why? Legacy.
> So, in order to open a server on port 21 you must have permissions. Either
> log into the computer as root (not recommended), or run the server as if
> you were the root user (many servers implement this one way or another.)

Sorry, but this does not sound right to me. Maybe because I am not sure what
is meant here by "log into the computer as root". Is he talking about the
user that is used to make the ftp connection. If so, the user used to login
should be irrelevant. If it's the user on the originating system, then it
should not matter what user either, as that port is not 21 anyway, but
something random.

> The command you pasted will allow CrushFTP root access to your computer.
> It will also allow any other .jar file you double click on root access.
> You have been warned! That said...it works very nice like this. It works
> like MacOS 9, Windows, even Linux. It's the Unix backbone that makes this
> necessary.

What's that last sentence supposed to mean?

Regards,

jimmo

--
"Be more concerned with your character than with your reputation. Your