Re: [SLE] partition magic can it and advice?
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin1.listas@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 04:41:12 +0100 (CET)

The 02.11.21 at 20:33, Rick Reumann wrote:

> What I'm confused about is in the users guide it mentions you
> can set up separate partitions for /opt, /home, /usr, etc. Do I need to
> do this?

No.

> Should I do this?

Perhaps :-)

> and if so do I use partition magic to do this

No.

> or do I do this through the suse install on the empty partition?

Yes.

> Do I
> use partition magic to make the swap partition also or

No.

> will the suse
> installation ask me?

Of course: you need one, so it will say so.

To clarify my opinions a litle, or to confuse the issue further O:-)

I would also leave some space unpartitioned, so that I can change opinion
later - but that's me. Also, I much preffer two HD. A /home partition is
very handy: in case you need to reinstall, you don't loos your data.
Partitions like /opt are an option, but you don't really need them till
you know you need them. I mean, not for a first install. The only
_required_ partions are "/" and swap. The rest, are extra.

I wouldn't use partition magic to partition linux partitions because then
you leave less options to the Suse installer (less liberty of choice, if
you like). Also, linux moves so fast that there may be new formats PM
knows nothing about (reiser 3.6, f.i.).

--
Cheers,
Carlos Robinson