System hangs randomly SuSE 8.1
  • From: mike <mgrello@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 22:14:14 -0500
This is a "white box" system which I built myself, been running Linux on it
for over 2 years.

Gigabyte Mobo.
350mHz PII
256 MB PC100 RAM
17 Gig HD space split over 2 drives
ATI xpert@work
PCI Sound Blaster
USB KB and mouse.
1 10BaseT and 1 100BaseX network card

I disabled APM and ACPI both on boot-up and from CMOS, also set PnP aware OS
to "NO".

I have also tried disabling the APIC and the vanilla safe mode boot-up (it
hung at the log in prompt).

System hangs very randomly; sometimes 3 times a day and sometimes after a
week.

It appears to happen in both RL3 and 5.

The system had been running SuSE 7.3 since December of last year with no ill
effects. I did a fresh install, formatting the partitions which would
contain all of the installed files (I have 2 file systems running Reiser
which contain data which I did not format, but they have not always been
mounted during the failure).

The install was problematic and took 3 attempts, starting from scratch to
complete; the first time it hung while selecting packages, the second during
the first CD and the third after all the files were copied and it was
starting SuSE.Sendmail.conf at the end of the install.

I have searched the SuSE web site.

Can anybody suggest something I have missed?

TIA,
mg