Re: [SLE] partition magic can it and advice?
  • From: Bruce Marshall <bmarsh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 21:59:56 -0500
On Thursday 21 November 2002 21:40 pm, Rick Reumann wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Nov 2002 20:24:42 -0600
>
> "Howard Coles Jr." <hcoles@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > No, when you shrink the XP partition it will leave empty space.
> > Leave it empty from PM's view point and then install Linux. SuSE
> > will come up with what it thinks is a good idea for partitioning,
> > but I have usually had to go in and change it.
> > The only two partitions you HAVE to create to install SuSE are the
> > swap and / (or root) partitons. Then various Linux people have
> > varying ideas as to how it should be split up from there.
>
> Ok thanks. Are you saying though that just doing the SuSE install of
> letting it choose a root and swap is fine? What I'm confused about is
> if I follow some recommendations to set up the other linux partitions
> /home /boot etc., do I have to do that with PM or am I prompted from
> within the SuSE install to do this?

If you are doing the partitioning manually... (using PM) then when you
get to the SuSE install and it shows you the partitioning section, you
want to 'discard' its suggestions and go to 'expert' mode. (you're an
expert aren't you? :-) But seriously, if you've already set up your
partitions with PM, then its simply a matter of telling the install
which partitions you want to use for /, /boot, /home etc and then
telling it to format them. Actually the format would be unnecessary but
it will tell you you're a boob for installing on a 'suspect' partition.
And the formatting only takes a few seconds anyway.

> > Oh, and just a tip, when you reply, just reply to the list,
> > otherwise I get two replies, ;-)
>
> Sorry about that.

+ Bruce S. Marshall bmarsh@xxxxxxxxxx Bellaire, MI 11/21/02
21:45 +
"You might be a high-tech Red-neck if:
you truly believe aliens are living among us"